Wednesday, October 04, 2006

Lessons And Learning

It all began when oil painting classes were offered at the country club where I live - it couldn't get more convenient than that!

I bought a lot of supplies at Michaels and then a very talented friend said that I got the student grade oils and turned me onto jerry'sararama and I got a great deal on this set of Rembrandts:

RembrandtOilWoodSet

So, for the first class, we were to copy a painting that the teacher had made of cherries. She supplied the tray and we painted it with black acrylic and used a blow dryer so we could start using the oils. All day seminar with lunch - fun atmosphere and first time I met my teacher. Bubbly, sweet, compassionate and loving.

RIMG0905

It was nice to take something home at the end of the day. She gave us another raw tray to paint on our own.

What I learned:

:: Blow Dryer for acrylics! Who knew!
:: First time I used tracing paper - found out many people trace with projectors to save time and get to painting
:: Wet on Wet is difficult - don't blend too much - gets muddy fast
:: Most beginners with oils get very muddy
:: Step back often
:: Use dry brush for blending - wiping after EACH stroke - short, light touch - blend

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home