Friday, October 13, 2006

Notes

I want to record some of the things I have learned this week - I will post pictures later - I love taking pictures in progress.

My sugar bowl bothers me. It was way too gray and I felt it was boring and not creamy/white enough. I changed the background - still not pleased and it actually looks better in the photographs the first time.

Bowl was more boring: Background colors overtook painting:
RIMG1277

Took gorgeous goldish background out and tried to make a setting - also added more color to sugar dish:
RIMG1417


I am trying to research online about background colors. I know about complimentary colors, but when dealing with gray/white/blues and pinks.........what the hell to use! I am thinking gray - it is supposed to make it "pop" - we shall see.

Here it is with the gray:
RIMG1432

My teacup is becoming WAY over-worked - it is much too wet to be tweaking, yet, I can't help myself.

RIMG1430

HUGE LESSON ON STILL LIFE!!!!!!!!! NOTE TO SELF!!!!!!!!!!

LIGHT IS SO IMPORTANT - SHADOWS DISTINCT - COLORS MORE CLEAR

TO PAINT A CUP/STILL LIFE OUTSIDE IS ASKING FOR TROUBLE.

THE SUN MOVES AND IN FOUR HOURS - I LOST ALL PERSPECTIVE - IT CHANGED SO MUCH. I NEED TO KEEP STILL LIFE SET UPS INDOORS AND WELL LIT.

Painting my twig was more fun. I kept it in bright sunlight - placed the colors and blended. Need to not overblend - trust myself and leave it alone.

RIMG1416

oil paint on paper sucks but i don't want to waste so many canvases for practice
My lemon tree and lilac tree - oil on paper - I wish I had added the sky:
RIMG1200

I sketched many things this week.
RIMG1408

RIMG1413

table leg gave me trouble because of a back leg that was extremely forshortened - I had to use negative space to get it right.

RIMG1301

After looking at my tatting and shuttle, I decided it was going to be too difficult so I put it away. Yesterday, I decided to not let it defeat me and try - step by step. I am very pleased with the way it turned out.

RIMG1410

I took drawing 15 years ago and still have pencils and sketch pad and colored pencils - I don't know what any of them mean. Why #4 pencil and what does "B" mean etc..... I am just picking up the pencil and going for it.

I got my DanielSmith oils in the mail yesterday - I can't wait to use them.

My brand new huge white tube has a broken screw top - I have to use tape to seal it which is a bitch.

I ordered a nice projector for future paintings. I know I can draw - it takes so many hours. FOr my paintings, I will start projecting the image so I can get to painting.

BE METICULOUS WITH DRAWING!

Complicated twig twists were never right from the beginning, thus weirdness insued.

LIGHT!

LIGHT!

LIGHT!

I don't want to mix more than 2 or 3 colors - I want vibrant colors.

I didn't spend a fortune on these gorgeous oils to make them muddy!!!!

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

5:02 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home