Sunday, July 22, 2007

Wet Paint

This is the first time that I have worked so much on so many different canvases. My teacher told me to do that a long time ago, set stuff aside and start on something new.
I still need to finish off my large red apple and my sunflowers.

My cherries and bottles need more work and now I am starting a new painting.

I love wetcanvas.com for their reference photos. I wanted some rocking chairs on a porch and found this lovely gem of a painting on wetcanvas (i need to search for artists name):Unfortunately, I cannot find it anymore but the person made reference to the photographer so I did a search of her to find the picture. Her name is Loretta Humble and I found some of her photographs. At first, I had a difficult time locating this one in particular and then noticed an inverted photo:

PHOTO BY LORETTA HUMBLE

I do rather like the inverted version so I switched it up:

This reminds me of an old country porch in South Carolina and my goal is to punch up color and go for it.

In searching my many canvases, this one was way more vertical than I needed but I decided to add to the sky and porch so that it fits. I didn't want to wait to drive 30 minutes to the art supply store so I used what I had on hand. I am just trying to block in and using negative space, I am trying to get the dimensions. I use liquin and raw umber to sketch. I learned a huge lesson with my charcoal on my sunflowers. I thought I would NEVER get the dirty look covered up. The problem with sketching this way, is I have no eraser other than a paper towel, I just have to go fast and block it in.

Next, I will work on darks and lights. I tried to circle the highlights and will continue to paint in the darker areas:

I can't wait to cover the canvas. I will try to work fast getting the initial colors down and then spend time fine tuning. I would love to do this in two different fashions: one tight and one loose. We'll see how the first comes along before I start on another.

ETA: The artist's name is Krysta Hinternish who painted the original rocking chairs that I absolutely adore! Thank you Krysta!!!!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home